Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sometimes you really do get what you wish for

I'm dancing constantly now, it's a part of my daily life. It consumes my thoughts, my energy. I'm always looking at what's next, where can I go next, what can I do next, who can I work with next.

I have to stop myself all the time and really appreciate what I have right now. It's pretty amazing: I am currently a member of two dance companies and working on material outside of that with two other choreographers. I have performed in more individual events and concerts this year so far than I ever have in my life.

It's still not always enough, I don't feel like I'm doing enough. I think it must be all of that early ballet training that has instilled in me a drive to push myself further, that you are never quite good enough, that you have to keep training and learning and improving. Not such a bad urge, I suppose.

I wanted to really kick drive, fast-track my training this summer my attending two intensives--with the Seldoms and Thodos Dance Chicago. I planned on taking off of work for two weeks, and just dancing as much as my body can handle. In the last few weeks, I kept reminding myself that I needed to send in my registration for the Seldoms intensive, but I put it off over and over. Finally, I made a truly adult decision: not to do it. The program isn't expensive (comparatively speaking), but taking a week off of work would make it cost three times the amount--something I really can't afford right now. I am still a bit heartbroken that I won't be training with such a cool company, but I'll make the most of my time. Don't be sad for me!

In other news, we started working with our guest choreographer for IDC's show...all I can say is that the piece is pretty amazing. You won't want to miss the concert, at least for this section alone!

Short update, but hopefully it'll tide you over for a bit. Keep checking back for the latest.

1 comment:

  1. It is definitely a different experience being "in class" (or, in your case "in intensive" classes) than simply being in rehearsals. Sometimes I feel like I don't have time to improve my dancing & don't have the energy to attend class & still remain healthy enough to go to all of my rehearsals. THEN, I see myself on video & think, "Damn...I really need to continue to be consistent with technique classes." I think they call that a Catch 22.

    The Thodos intensive will be incredible! I can't wait to read all about it. Making money is good too & if The Seldoms are worth their weight in dancing, they will be there for you, when you have the time, energy and money.

    That whole money balance for us artistic types continues to be a struggle (at least for me, personally). I think you are handling it quite well. I admire the balance you have created in your life.

    Love you. Thanks for sharing. I was craving a Stephanie blog snack <:]

    ReplyDelete