Monday, July 5, 2010

A perfect day

It's July and it's hot.
The beautiful weather is plenty excuse not to go to the studio or gym, just stay in the A/C or keep playing with the dog in the park. I hope I don't succumb to those urges too frequently, because I definitely have in the past couple of weeks.

Today is inspiring me to continue on, to keep improving myself, to try new things.

I had the option to go to work today, get a few hours in and maybe earn about $30. Instead, I chose to sleep in. I have a very busy month ahead of me, and soon I won't even have the option of sleeping in. I woke up at a decent hour, made my coffee (even though Ed makes is best, I am learning to enjoy the coffee that I make myself), and sat at my computer to write.

I've always used writing or storytelling in my creation process, so it's not very different to be doing it now for a new choreography project. For those of you who don't know already, I was asked to write a little something for a project that I am working on. Not sure if the writing will end up on stage or not, but I am really enjoying it.

Writing for performance is so special. You have to consider your audience. You have to consider how self-indulgent you are or are not. You also have to consider stage directions, facial expressions, tone of voice. It makes me want to act. Just a little bit.

After writing a draft of...something, I went to ballet class at Lou Conte's. It was Intermediate/Advanced, and I normally take Intermediate. I have known for a while that Int. ballet was comfortable for me, that the teacher liked me, and that I wasn't necessarily making myself work harder, just hard. It was a nice challenge, and I didn't feel like I stuck out in a bad way.

Now, all I have to do is go to rehearsal tonight for IDC.
I might go to the gym, I might do chores. But I don't have to.

I want every day to be like this--my focus on class, rehearsal, creation.
I love it. The sweat clinging to my skin, muscles aching, being the music.
And then doing it all over again.

1 comment: