Monday, June 28, 2010

Changes and Challenges

I started a few new things last week, and I'm looking forward to how they'll go this week too.

First, Circus Arts at the Actors Gym. It's a seven week introductory course to all things circus: last week we learned the basics of unicycling and Spanish web (that's the big rope with a hand loop). We also worked on basic tumbling, so it was nice to work on my handstands. I can't wait to see everything else that we learn. I already think that I want to sign up for aerial arts in the fall. I've wanted to learn silks since I was 14!

This class just makes me feel awesome. I don't know any of the other students, and the subject matter is definitely out of my comfort zone. I'm also surprised at how weak it made me feel, so hopefully I'll gain more upper body strength. It's a challenge all around.

Another new experience: working with a new choreographer on new work. We met at 6 am on Thursday to start drafting a new piece...and before then we had barely even had a conversation.

I woke up at 4:30, prepared for the day (breakfast, making lunch, walking the dog) and was on the red line at 5:15. At six, we entered the rehearsal space, quiet and empty. After warming up individually for half an hour, he started teaching me some phrases. After that, he had me improvise to 3 contrasting pieces of music--for about 15 or 20 minutes straight! Then we worked on some partner work (note to self: when lifting a 175 lb man, do not use your back!), and solo character work.

I thought I would have been more self-conscious, especially during the improv. Here I was, coming into an empty room with someone that I barely know and basically exposing myself and my emotions. In retrospect, I could have let loose a bit more in my improv, but considering the circumstances I think I did well. Well enough that he wants to see me again this week!

Not sure when that show will be, but I know I am going to really enjoy the process of working with someone who is creating work on ME. He really works with the dancer's strengths, but is still pushing me to move in new ways too. I also like the idea of waking up before most of the city and being productive. It's very soothing to be in a big empty space with wood floors to roll on, white walls just begging for creation.

It's a good thing that I am going to be changing my work schedule soon. After that 6 am rehearsal, I went of to my office job until 5, and then had rehearsal again from 8:30-10:30. I love it, but I was so exhausted after that.

I'm looking forward to a lot of changes and challenges for the rest of the year.

1 comment:

  1. It's getting better every time...my favorite part in this one, "I also like the idea of waking up before most of the city and being productive. It's very soothing to be in a big empty space with wood floors to roll on, white walls just begging for creation." Beautiful writing.

    You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete