Sunday, June 20, 2010

Moving forward

Yesterday we closed the Matter Dance show, "Step into the Ring." I had a blast with this project. I met so many cool, new people that I hope to see again for class, upcoming projects, or just hanging out. The cast was HUGE!

I think the best part about this show for me was that it pushed me to perform works outside of my comfort zone. I tend to dance in a very melting, curvy, organic fashion. For "Ring," I danced musical theatre-style tap and jazz numbers, donned my heels for a Russian character dance, and was in a piece by Chicago Dance Crash members that had me cartwheeling, handstanding, and doing my best impression of hip hop. That's a far cry from my normal modern dance!

I normally feel a sense of loss after a show closes. Post-partum. I never know if I'm going to see these great people again, I'm probably never going to perform these pieces again, and also--what do I do with my days now that I'm not rehearsing for this show anymore?

Well, I solved at least the "what do I do with my time" part. I'm going forward, no break.

Today, I am auditioning for Chicago Dance Crash. They're looking for company members and guest artists, so we'll see what happens.
Tomorrow: We start a new piece for IDC's show.
Wednesday: I start my "Circus Arts" class at the Actors Gym.
Thursday: I'm meeting a choreographer to "play." Basically, get to know each other through movement. At 6 am!
And of course, classes and other IDC rehearsals on top of all that.

As one of my co-workers said, I don't like to see blank spaces on my calendar. Especially since my husband is gone for the next 7 weeks (he's in a Shakespeare festival in Michigan), I am keeping myself very occupied. I can't miss him too much if I'm never home! Honestly, even when he was here, we were both so busy that we only saw each other for a couple hours a day. So far, it's not so different. Except that I sleep alone.

And...we're off!

1 comment:

  1. I know who that choreographer is! Have fun playing, and work it out for the Dance Crash audition! I'm glad that you are busy and that lots of things are happening for you. Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete