Saturday, November 13, 2010

It's your job

So tired...that's how I've felt on nearly a daily basis for the last month. I don't want that much more free time, to be honest. I just want more sleep and more time to take classes.

Over the summer while I was at the Thodos intensive, one of our guest speakers told us "You should be in class everyday. It's your job." It really hit home, and I completely agree. I just cannot imagine how I could take classes more regularly. With work, teaching, rehearsing and performing all competing for my waking hours, I'm lucky to squeeze in one or two classes a week.

Luckily, I now have the opportunity to take a class for every class I teach at NorthSide Dance Theater. Since I am scheduled to teach 9 classes a week, it's not a problem using up those free classes. Unluckily, my classes aren't always filled, but I am thankful that whenever I have a class that goes empty, Jenn peeks her head into my studio and invites me to come take barre with her.

I feel like I'm in the best shape of my professional dance career, but I know I can be better. I watch professionals that I admire, and feel like I can do almost everything they can. I just need some polish. More class time.

Dance Chicago will be over in just over a week. I keep thinking that I will be able to sleep after that, but in actuality I won't. Setting pieces for Renegade Dance Architects and GI Alliance Dance Co., hopefully producing school shows with Innervation Dance Cooperative. I look forward to being busy, but I also would like to devote more time to myself, to improve and give myself more insurance for a prosperous and prolific career.

No comments:

Post a Comment