Monday, February 14, 2011

Ramblings, or "The Next Thing"

I've been hanging around the apartment, bored, for the last few hours. Lately, I impress myself with how quickly I become restless when I'm supposed to be "resting." Tonight is arguably my only night off for the next several weeks, to be followed by back to back 15 hour days and moving to a new apartment.

I've packed up some clothes, eaten dinner, watched half an hour of tv, and then started watching some clips of pieces that I'm working on. Watching dance got me started on researching more opportunities for myself. I clicked through webpages for dance companies, studios, choreographers, other dancers that I know, searching for something that would trigger inspiration.

It's a constant obsession: what else can I be doing to improve myself? What other types of work can I be doing? Who else can I collaborate with? When can I fit in more classes?

Don't get me wrong: I never want any of my peers to think that I am not fully content with the work that I am currently doing. I love the companies that I work with (and see a great deal of potential for them to do great things), love the dancers that I'm working with, and I just feel very lucky for everything that I have right now. However, I do still have quite a bit of determination to become...better. A more skilled dancer, a more convincing actress, a more moving performer, a more creative choreographer, a more productive director. Just better, overall.

I'm currently looking at what comes next. GI Alliance's show will be over (for now at least) in April, Innervation's show will be over in May, and Renegade is looking at late summer for a concert. I realize that for most people, June and July are still quite off in the future, but I am automatically looking for something that will work perfectly with my schedule and still offer me further opportunities as an artist.

Hopefully, the New Dances audition next month will go well.
If not, it's on to...the next thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment