Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Up and up

It's been a while and many things have happened in my personal dance life.

For example, I will be attending the Dance/USA conference tomorrow! Dance/USA is a national organization that provides support for dance companies. Check it out: www.danceusa.org
I have much still to learn, being that I've only been in my director position for 9 months, and am excited to be a sponge and soak up some new information tomorrow.

As the Touring and Outreach Director of Innervation Dance Cooperative, I feel that my work is never done. So many schools to contact! So many festivals to research! Somehow, IDC has had more touring opportunities lately than possibly ever.

On Monday, we performed at the House of Blues! Spur-of-the-moment, completely random...we were asked to be a part of the "Service Industry Talent Night." Since many of our dancers are servers, bartenders, and (ahem) baristas, we were able to participate. The show ended up consisting of 5 bands and IDC, so the modern ballet dancers definitely stood out.

We had a blast, rehearsing up until the last minute in our fabulously outfitted dressing room. On stage, we tip-toed around instruments and sound equipment. In the crossover space, a drummer practiced on a desk chair seat.

What a fun way to get our name out into a completely different world -- I'd say that there were at least a hundred people there.

Up next for me: Performing with GI Alliance at Edgewater Arts Festival and Celebrate Clark Street, Dance Camp at NorthSide Dance Theater, IDC tour of "Gods, Monsters, and Heroes" to Ravenswood School, organizing dance parties with IDC at the Morton School back to school fair...and that's just July.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment