Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Daydreams and Rants

This is exactly how I dreamed my life would be. Working with wonderful people everyday who continue to inspire me. Surrounded by artists, a community that is supportive rather than competitive. Struggling to make ends meet, but surviving (and dare I say, thriving).

I have had many ups and downs recently, and as I was talking with two of my friends at separate times yesterday, I think the downs were only a product of exhaustion. When well-rested, I feel nothing but absolute peace. How could I want for more?

I feel blessed to be working with such wonderful people -- the partners at NorthSide Dance Theater, company and co-op of IDC, and dancers of GIA, and RDA.

This was the first Chicago audition season that I haven't participated in since I've been here. I didn't go to the cattle calls of impossibility (aka River North or Hubbard Street), and didn't go to some that were maybe a little more possible for SOMETHING to come out of it (aka New Dances). I'm extremely busy with everything that I'm working on right now...and for the first time I feel completely fulfilled by my work and want nothing else.

I have finished two dances that are about to premiere, one dance has mere seconds to completion and the fourth has less than 30 seconds. And...I really like what I've done. I hope you do too!


Now that I have filled your minds with fluffy, daydreamy spouts of my genuine happiness, I have to rip those pretty clouds to talk about not so nice stuff. Fundraising. Or rather, lack of support from audiences at fundraisers.

I have had a couple fundraisers so far this year for a couple of my dance companies, and I've noticed a trend: the lack of attendance from our patrons. I am so happy that there are people who are interested in small contemporary dance companies and actually crack their wallets open to pay $20 or less for an evening length show. Bravo, dance lovers! I don't understand why people don't find the fundraisers leading up to said show to be just as important. We can't put on a show without funds.

Non-profit arts organizations are in a bind. We have drive and goals and missions and dreams. We don't have money. We have debt. The few number of grants available are difficult to obtain, but please believe that we are trying. So many other organizations just like my dance companies are in need of financial support, so competition is tough.

That's why private funding is so important. That's why I advertise my "so many" fundraisers to my friends. I'm not trying to leech your back account. I just figure that if you like what I do, you might like to see more of it in the future.

This topic is on my mind because I had an awesome fundraiser a week ago (endless pizza and wine for 3 hours for $25!) that was poorly attended. It made me and other people very sad. I also have a hugely awesome fundraiser coming up this Saturday. All the bells and whistles included (4 hour open premium bar, dinner by Wildfire, live band, dance lesson, teaser performance, raffles and auctions) for only $50. That is much less than you would pay to go out to dinner and then to see a show. Yet, so far, our tickets sales are pretty low. And you know what...I have a fundraiser next weekend too. $10 for a free drink and a show. (PS, if you want specific information about these events just let me know.)

My main point is that we can all dig in and attend fundraisers with a little bit of planning. Everyone's excuse these days is that there just isn't enough money. It's such an easy default when the economy is in a slump. It's just frustrating to see people spend huge amounts of money on TVs, furniture, vacations, and fancy dinners without even thinking otherwise yet won't pull out a dollar for a raffle ticket to help a non-profit buy a sewing needle.

All of the above comes from a source of frustration, but I hope that it inspires me and you to invest in what is important to you.
I won't yell at you if it happens to be a TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment