Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A difficult decision

I made a difficult decision this weekend. For almost a year now, I had planned on auditioning for Thodos Dance Chicago's "New Dances." It's the only time of year that they audition non-company dancers to be included in a show. I was so excited, but then at the last minute I realized that I have absolutely no time to be involved in another show. This is not the type of audition where it is okay to take the company's four-hour audition as a free class, and then turn down a role if it is offered. I believe that would be very disrespectful. Plus, if I had been offered a role, I know I would have taken it.
I love having many projects going on at the same time. It's exciting! I just don't want so much on my plate that my passion becomes a chore. I already have glimpses of that now, subtle hints that I may have too much of a good thing.
As you probably well know (because I remind people of what I'm working on all the time), I am now working on three different shows. After the IDC show in May, I didn't have anything else planned. I recently met with my friend, the artistic director of Renegade Dance Architects, and spoke of my intentions to continue to perform with the company. Since that conversation, I will now be in a show in August.
I'd say that is enough on my plate for now.

I have more that I want to talk about (in regards to raising money for non-profits and other things that disappoint me), but we'll save that for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment