Saturday, April 17, 2010

Looking ahead and Expression vs. Technique

Many exciting events coming up for me and my little dance world: two auditions next week, one the week after that, learning new dances, creating new dances, show opening in a few weeks...

I've been searching for new opportunities. The Chicago dance community is so rich with companies, projects and festivals--and I want to experience it all. I'm looking forward and realizing that I may be extremely busy at the moment while I'm rehearsing with 3 companies at once, but in 2 months I'll be working on just one show.

I had a conversation with a teacher last week to help guide me into other dance opportunities. I did learn about some new places to take classes and learned some new names, but I took a couple of other things with me--encouragement and a couple compliments. I know that I'm not the best technical dancer ever, so it was nice to hear from someone else that my strength as a dancer is how I express myself.

I'm going to try to use that expression to my advantage in upcoming auditions. I may not impress you at ballet barre, but I will certainly pour myself into the character that you want.

Last night, a few friends and I went to a benefit for a new company (my best friend is one of the founding dancers). Listening to the founder/choreographer/artistic director was truly inspiring. He has a refreshing views on dance and dance creation, in particular that he makes dances with his particular dancers in mind, that their personalities and movement qualities make the dance. I also loved when he said, "I have many technical faults as a dancer, when you see me in class you might think I am an amateur." It was uplifting for me to see that you don't have to be the best dancer in the room to create work that others will support and appreciate. Looking forward to Dmitri's show.

No comments:

Post a Comment