Monday, April 19, 2010

Validation

I work with a fellow dancer, a lovely young man who has had the pleasure of performing professionally (even if not consistently). I wanted to share some of our conversation because I found it to be insightful and inspiring.

We welcomed each other with big hugs this morning, much needed gestures of support, and then I reminded him that I would see him in company class this Friday--I'm auditioning for the company with whom he has been a guest artist. He seemed like he was happy to hear that, and told me that one of my favorite ballet teachers would be giving us class, which I took to be a huge plus for me. He confessed that he heard that I was considering not even going to the audition because I wasn't sure if I would want to work with this company (a little back story: I actually love the work that they produce and fully support the concept, but I had a confidence-shattering audition with them a year ago and it left a mark). Of course, I responded that I changed my mind because I am not in a place to be picky about the work that I do, that I just need to try everything. He agreed, and also told me this:
"After every audition, no matter how it went, you set the bar a little higher for yourself. It gives you something to reach for."

It doesn't matter if you are cut in the first round, the last round, or if you make it to the end of an audition. Auditioning gives you a chance to see what else is out there, shake your grounding, and keep you growing.



In a separate conversation with the same friend, my eyes teared up as I told him how I thought that my dancer friends sometimes discredit the work that I've been doing for the last year. (This may or may not be based on truth, it could just be paranoia.) I have worked harder than I have in years and tried so many new things and met so many lovely people...it's hard to have others (unknowingly, and not directly) tell you that it doesn't really count as professional work. He soothed me with this:
"It shouldn't matter if what you are working on is not as well-known. For all we know, [those groups] could become huge in the future. What matters most is that you are contributing to the dance community."

I'm always thankful for supportive friends, the awesome opportunities that I've been given, and I am fully invested in the work I am producing as a dancer.

Sometimes you just need a little validation.

No comments:

Post a Comment